Saturday 21 May 2011

Thursday 19th May

Back to the Tourist Office in Thurso, decide to cross to Orkney from Gills Bay, a lot cheaper and shorter crossing than from Scrabster.  I’d been to Thurso in the late '90’s but it wasn’t how I remembered it; I couldn’t work out the place I had in my mine.  It is not a very photogenic town.

010 Thurso harbour

011 

Ignore the ugly ground floor; the design of the first floor and the roof is great.

I then went to the RSPB visitor centre at Forsinard passing Dounereay on the way – reminded me of Sellafield, same generations of Atomic Power Station and, also very important to the local economy

012

It was a long way to Forsinard, on an A road with passing places, I will experience a lot more of these as the summer progresses.  The visitor centre is in the station building, great use of the building

021

013

017 The bog walk

018 Bog bean and a bee

024 

River, road and, in distance rail

I did the short bog walk and then a longer walk through woods.  Saw very little until the last 1/4 of mile when suddenly there were red deer and loads of birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment