Tuesday 10 May 2011

Monday 2 May 2011

This was not a day for taking photographs.  I was staying in a lovely little camp site – 1st night there was 1 other van, 2nd night I was on my own.   The camp site is part of the Cardoness estate, but the smart bit of the estate is about 1/4 mile on the other side of the road along the shore.  There are cottages and fixed caravans on the shore site.

3-May-001_thumb The Van

3-May-002_thumb

Prang on watch behind a dirt window

I intended to have a quiet day on the beach. I cycled to the shore site, walked down to the beach and sat down to read the Sunday paper.  As it was not that sheltered so I cycled back to the Van after an hour or so.  On my way back I realised that I had problems with the bike.  A couple of bolts holding the rear mudguard and the rack had dropped out and one of the rear brakes was not releasing.  So having researched there was a bike hire and service shop in Kirroughtree Forest and confident it would be open on a Bank Holiday I drove there.  I walked into the shop with the bike expecting some burly Scotsman in charge only to find a youngish girl.  I was annoyed with myself that I was taken by surprise and hope it wasn’t too obvious.

She was really helpful.  She shortened some bolts with a hacksaw and fitted them. She took the offending brake apart and put it back together again.  We then decided that it wasn’t working very well and wouldn’t last long so I asked her to fit a new brake.  She must have spent 3/4 hour on my bike.  She charged me £17.99 which is the cost of the new brake, i.e. nothing for her time.  She wouldn’t take any more.

When I was leaving on Monday morning I spotted a red squirrel on the bird feeder about 10 yards from my parking spot.  It didn’t stop to be photographed.

2 comments:

  1. am getting really p*ssed off with google - trying all sorts to get a post on your blogs----Jillx

    ReplyDelete
  2. hurrah - post seems to have worked.....
    great to read your news - trust Prang doing his job right. farmers = good sorts!
    Pics great.
    How fab to see a black guillemot - we saw the regular ones on a Lundy trip at easter - got great weather this time :) (went with nikki and tom whilst paul addressed a pool room crisis....)
    house guests just left and i actually have a headache - can't believe it!!
    had the fuzz round today as we reported local oiks had thrown our brown sign in the stream :S(we saw them loitering on our way to pub and sign in stream on our return)
    just spend about a day fighting with the shower taps in the pool - I won!!!!! (all i was trying to do was replace the washers but, as ever, this was not a simple task!!)
    order PV array for swimming pool roof ....decided to invest as payback getting better and better....meanwhile desperately need more bookings - about 24 weeks below same time as last year although ytd revenue about on par.
    Jx

    ReplyDelete