Friday 6 May 2011

Sunday 1 May 2011

I’m not sure I’ll manage a daily report but as I’ve taken lots of photos I will try to write up while they are still fresh in my mind.  There is also a problem finding a signal strong enough to make an entry go live…

I’m really enjoying Dumfries and Galloway.  Seemingly endless bluebell woods – in dappled sunshine, fresh leaves on the trees,  big drifts of wild garlic, the gorse in bloom, the birds.  The roads aren’t too narrow and in the villages there is always somewhere to park the Van which is a joy!  And another joy is there is so much unspoilt Georgian architecture….  

I spent the night just outside Newton Stewart so on Sunday I bought some fuel (had spotted the diesel was cheaper there) an Observer, a map of the area – maps are going to be a big problem - had a walk around (nice but took no photos) and then drove up the left bank of the River Cree, had a walk through some woods and totally missed the otter watching spot.

Newton Stewart  005 Bluebells

 

Newton Stewart  028  Wild garlic

I then went to Drumuckloch camp site a couple of miles outside Gatehouse of Fleet, parked up and cycled to Gatehouse of Fleet, walked through the woods, went to Cally Gardens.  This used to be the walled garden for Cally Castle and has some very  old apple trees with magnificent lichen growths.  They lost a lot of plants last winter, the ground was frozen solid for 6 weeks.

Newton Stewart 006 

Hogwarts comes to Gatehouse of Fleet

Newton Stewart 007 

Gatehouse of Fleet – easy parking although I went by bicycle

Gatehouse of Fleet  008 Lovely Georgian house

 Cally Gardens  017 

Very old apple trees in Cally Gardens

No comments:

Post a Comment