Friday 6 May 2011

Saturday 30 April 2011

I am certainly much better prepared than had I set off for the trip last year.  While at present I have no ongoing household bills to pay there is still much to organise; taxing the motorhome, due at the end of May, caused me the most angst.  As for kitting out the motorhome, I keep going over what I have taken. I know it is far too much but won’t know what will be of use and what not until I’m well on the way.

I have a meerkat mascot.  He was given me, already named Prang, after the repairs to the damage from the fence rail had been completed. His role is to watch out for any other aggressive near-side attacks.

I’ve spent a long time trying to decide what to call the motorhome; referring endlessly to “motorhome” is tiresome.  I wanted to call it “The Nancy Blackett” but that will be  much more tiresome!  I need something punchy so it will just be the “Van”.

“We” are on the road.  I set off a week ago and arrived in South West Scotland after two days.   I only drove as far as Leamington on the Thursday – just in case - and then drove up to Cumbria, listening to The Wedding on Radio 4 (there were a lot of people on the road at the same time…).  I stayed on a farm camp site off the A6 between Pennrith and Carlisle in Cumbria on the second night and got the Van stuck on the “greasy” grass when parking up.  The farmer had no difficulty in getting me out the next morning…..

I drove to the Isle of  Whithorn. a tiny village on the southern tip of the Machars, in the west of Dumfries and Galloway.  I had a personal reason for visiting Isle of Whithorn as the scallop fishing vessel, the Solway Harvester was based here when she sank in 2000 with all seven hands lost, the oldest 33, youngest 17. 

Easter 2011 006 

Solway Harvester Memorial seat

Simon worked extensively on the Isle of Man prosecution of the owner.  He was extremely upset when the case was thrown out on a technicality. 

Easter 2011 007

The harbour and village of Isle of Whithorn

St Ninian lived here in a cave.  The Solway Harvester memorial seat has been sited close to a cairn where the public is encouraged to  leave memorial stones, so I did.

Easter 2011 004 The Witness stone

Easter 2011 003 The Witness Cairn

No comments:

Post a Comment