Saturday 14 May 2011

Friday 6th to Sunday 8th May

I drove up to the Trossachs from Kirkudbright on Friday to stay at the Holiday Property Bond property called Tigh Mor which, in another life was the Trossachs Hotel, situated between Brig O’Turk and Loch Katrine.   As the Trossachs Hotel it fell into disrepair and HPB developed it as their first property, about 25 years ago.  Foolishly I didn’t take a photo.

As an HPB property it is not open to the public; so it was a great privilege for me to stay there with John and Mary Diggle.  There is a swimming pool and an evening restaurant and, a luxury for me, a laundry.  I have to admit that I haven’t been to a launderette yet but that might be a comment on my cleanliness! Talking of cleanliness, I have been quite assiduous clearing and washing up after cooking to keep smells down and so that the washing up doesn’t pile up. Imagine getting into the van after a couple of hours and noticing it was very smelly.  I had cooked cabbage the night before (am very fond of cabbage) and had drained the water I had cooked it in into the grey water tank.  It took a couple of days to get rid of the smell.  I hope I don’t make that mistake again.

009

Anyway back to the Trossachs.  We walked up to Loch Katrine on Saturday morning, the rain held off.  Loch Katrine is a reservoir, water for Glasgow. 

002

Queen Victoria visited - they built a cottage for her to sit down. It was also made famous by Sir Walter Scot – “The Lady of the Lake”.  Brig O’Turk is where Millais painted Ruskin and ran off with Effie Ruskin.  It must have been extraordinary to have been there 150 years ago.

006

On Sunday we  went to Balquhidder to Rob Roy’s Grave.  But it might not be.

001

Anyway it was a nice spot to be buried.  Or not. 

003

There was great lichen on the gravestones,

004

011

swallows nesting in the porch of the kirk (not the ruined kirk in the photo)

006

and I was taken by the gravestone of David Carnegie on which someone had left an unopened bottle of Carnegie ale.

002

No comments:

Post a Comment