Monday 26 December 2011

After Scotland, beginning of September 2011

I haven’t posted a blog about my travels since 14th August.  After that date I had to go back to Lymington.   I parked the Van up in Yorkshire with the intention of returning to Scotland but in the event I wasn’t able to do so.  I collected the Van in September and slowly progressed down the east coast to Suffolk before returning to Lymington.  In October I made a failed bid for Cornwall in the Van, again having to return to Lymington.  After that I mothballed the Van for the winter and my sortees since have been by car.

So here goes with resuming my update  since 14th August.

I went back up to Wesnslydale to pick up the Van.  Before setting off again, my sister and I did a walk in Wensleydale taking in Castle Bolton.  This continues my Mary Queen of Scots theme.  She was imprisoned there in 1568/9 and she was caught attempting to escape on a rope of sheets.  (I have since read Philippa Gregory’s “The Other Queen” about her captivity from 1569 - 1584  from the point of view of her warders, Bess of Hardwick and the Earl of Shreswbury - which I thought quite good but overwritten.)

We timed our visit well as a falcon demonstration was about to begin and it was very impressive. They had a collection of raptors and an owl or two.

037 Wensleydale

035 Bolton Castle

002

011

010 Falcon demonstration

015

030 Barn Owl

As the weather was so good, we finished off the day by walking up to the top of Penhill at the back of West Witton.

038

039

It seems a bit weird writing this up when there is snow and ice….

No comments:

Post a Comment