Monday 26 December 2011

17 September Lowestoft, Suffolk

Why would I go to Lowestoft, you may well ask.  I had a nostrum, having visited Herma Ness (north) and St Kilda (west) to add east – Lowestoft – and south (Cornwall/Scillies). 

006 Fine railway architecture

004 Rather nice mural

The most easterly point of the United Kingdom is quite hard to find.  There are no signposts and you have to negotiate your way through a run down industrial estate and when you get there there is a modest pavement compass (not sure what else to call it) 014

and it was comforting to find some familiar place names there

009

010

011 and anticipated places…

012

013

I then went across the field where the fishing nets were hung out to dry to the Lowestoft Marine museum – mainly to pick up a Lowestoft badge for Prang (which I did, but I haven’t yet taken a picture of him sporting it).  The museum was worth the visit and I kept up the tradition of being the sole visitor.

015 

Fishing net wracks and lighthouse

016 

This sign preceded the “pavement compass”

017 More about fishing….

018 Herrings

019 An anchor made of shells

020 A model of the Titanic

022 

This figurehead was dredged up and has been restored

and on the way back to the Van this caught my eye -

023

- on a par with “Ascension is not just an island” (during the Falklands War) and “Sins are like beggars, if you give in to them, they keep coming back for more”  (seen in East Grinstead).

My next outing was on the 10th October.

No comments:

Post a Comment