Tuesday 14 August 2012

8th - May Edinburgh to Killin

I had another day in Edinburgh before setting off north and west.  I met with 3 school friends, Katie, Marjorie and Rosemary and we had a lovely lunch and a good catch up.  After lunch I spent time in the National Museum of Scotland.

012 

An original Cuneo (with no mouse?)

013 

An idea if you want to preserve your favourite sheep

014  A comfortable necklace

015

Scenes from the roof terrace

016

024

and the grave of Greyfriars Bobby

In the evening I went to see the play Ann Boleyn, a Globe travelling production.  It had had rave reviews when it had been on at the Globe last year.  I have had to give up reading theatre reviews as, with the travelling around, I can’t get to see anything.  I’m really pleased I managed to catch this play as I thought it was really good.  Some Edinburgh ladies walked out (language? subject?).  The star, for me, was James Garnon who was brilliant playing James VI/I.  The play was really about his influence in religion. 

Then off to Killin, via a huge Motorhome place outside Perth to pick up spare lightbulbs (!).  Killin is at the north end of Loch Tay and is a base for lots of outdoor activities.  However the weather did not encourage much – lots of overnight rain which translated to snow on the hills. 

028

I’ve just googled Killin and discovered I missed visiting the copper mines at Killin which is the haunt of the killer rabbit in Monty Python and the Holy Grail…  However  when walking to the shops I thought more of Toy Story.

027

039

031 Falls of Dochart

032 

The McNab clan burial ground

038 Interesting shop front

I had begun to notice that a lot of small towns and villages in Scotland are struggling economically.  I found a number of museums and shops permanently closed and businesses operating but with “For Sale” signs outside them.  Killin was no exception.

No comments:

Post a Comment