Wednesday 15 August 2012

30 May Tiree Part 1

Tiree is a very different island to Coll, much more fertile and more population.  I hadn’t managed to pick up any information on where I could stay before I got there so had a look around on the pier when I arrived.  I spoke to Steve who announced himself as “access officer” and he told me that wild camping is not allowed (I think there has been some pollution caused by wild campers), about Willie’s camp site and about the “croft camping”, a number of places allow camping in their grounds for £10 a night.  He’s a Geordie who, before he moved to Tiree, used to come as often as he could for long weekends to windsurf, which Tiree is famous for.  His day job is an electrician and he has plenty of work. 

013

I went to Willie’s at the west end of the island.  I’m been doing a study of camp sites and what their owners think is important.  Willie is still developing his campsite and it is more than a bit rough around the edges (as are some of the other campers).  Willie’s day job is teaching wind surfing so a lot of his clientele in the campsite he has during the day to0.  But his WiFi signal was spectacularly good.  He said, from his travelling in Oz, that that’s the most important thing for a camp site to have.

Tiree is very flat.  The highest point in Ben Hynish at 141 feet and this is topped with a golf ball (seen on the way to Treshnish Isles) which is an Atlantic civil aviation radar station.

040

038

036

037

Tiree still has a lot of its traditional houses.  There are two sorts, the thatched and the  spotty.

043 New spotty

110Old spotty

058 Thatched and spotty – this settlement made me think of Thomas Hardy.

The thatched are very unusual as one side had a deeply inset doorway and windows but the thatch doesn’t cover the shelf (Wide wall head) that’s created and grass, flowers and even rhubarb grew on the shelf, when the dog wasn’t asleep up there.

005

006

There is quite a bit of new build going on (good news for Steve) and that is

045

044

048 Abandoned thatch

063 Birds and phone boxes don’t mix

112 

The herd included the bull and I was on my bike.

113 Tiree hares

115

 124 Plastic sack eating sheep

001 A cowrie shell

I was very excited to find just one of these on a beach, I’d been looking since when I arrived in the Outer Hebrides last year to no avail.

017 !

050

No comments:

Post a Comment