Wednesday 15 August 2012

27 May Crossing to Coll

 

002 

Waiting to board the ferry in Oban

The route to Coll is out through the Sound of Mull, pass the Lismore Lighthouse and Duart Castle, Craignure, Fishnish and Tobermory on Mull and Lochaline and Ardnamurchan on the mainland.

003 Lismore lighthouse

005 Duart castle

006 Craignure

007 Lochaline

008

015 Tobermory

016 Tobermory/Kilchoan ferry

023 Ardnamurchan and Eigg

025 Arinagour, Coll

026 A basking shark

029

032

Coll Airfield

057

I drove to the south end of Coll where there is an RSPB reserve which is noted for its Corncrakes.  There was a big field which could be used for parking and seemed to have no restrictions so I stayed there a couple of nights.  I could hear Corncrakes on the edge of the field and there were lots of lapwings and swallows.  

037

There was a lot of bird activity on the way down to the RSPB reserve and a lot of Corncrakes calling.   I was very lucky to see one.  Only the males call and when they do they stretch out their necks to the sky and then they lower their heads and creep away through the grass until they decide to call again.

061  A stuffed Corncrake (taken in the Museum in Dumfries).  The other bird is a wagtail.

Until 1930’s corncrakes were common throughout the UK.  Now, because of farming methods, they are only found on islands off the west coast of Scotland.

056

Coll wasn’t just special for the corncrakes.  I was sitting in the Van reading a book with the door open and glancing up noticed a couple of hares.  In the end there must have been six of them – this is my favourite picture.  There were corncrakes calling in the undergrowth behind the fence so I went over quietly to see if I could locate and spot them.  While standing by the fence a hare popped out of the undergrowth and we eyed each other up for a while – I didn’t dare move to take a photo, as this might have prematurely ended my close encounter with a hare.

002

017 Attacking lapwings

004

011 A Coll bumblebee

036

039

047

Clean up needed

049

005 Breachacha, old and new

055 Old Castle

Breachacha

054 New Castle

In the morning I was woken by strange noises and the Van being rocked.  I got up to investigate and found a cow scratching herself on the Van and the calf licking it.  As I’ve not cleaned the Van since the smears are still there.

No comments:

Post a Comment