Tuesday 14 August 2012

11 May Arisaig

I went back to Arisaig.  I had driven through it last year during the school holidays and was unable to get into a camp site or park anywhere so I had another go.  No problems getting into a campsite at the beginning of May but other sorts or problems, see below.

040

The first campsite I stayed in, at Back of Keppoch, was cycling distance from Arisaig and walking distance from a pub.

041

012 Arisaig from the south

005 Looking south from Arisaig

006

009 Sgurr of Eigg from Arisaig

011 Oyster farming

So I had a nice Saturday cycling down through Arisaig, visiting the little (very little) museum which didn’t have enough for my liking about filming in the area (not just Local Hero) and certainly not enough about WW II Special Operations Executive training which took place around here (and which Gavin Maxwell was involved in – perhaps he should be on the “Around Scotland Check List”).

In the evening I walked up to the pub at Back of Keppoch for a meal to find that the day there had been spent in Jacobite festivities and the place was full of carousing  “Jacobites” in full regalia, some of the men wearing disturbingly short kilts.  I did however manage to find a quiet corner and have a meal.  I slept well only to find that the night had been too much for my neighbours – very windy and wet.

001

I drove up to Mallaig and found all the ferries had been cancelled and were tied up in the harbour.  I got very wet just going to the newsagents!

003

24 hours later it was all forgotten

004 Eigg

001

I went for a walk along the beach used for filming Local Hero

No comments:

Post a Comment