Tuesday 14 August 2012

15 May Moidart, Sunart, Morven and on to Mull

I set off from Arisaig intending to drive to Ardnamurchan Point across a very large tract of land with narrow roads and not much else.

005 An important shop

006 

A traffic jam.  Everyone had just got back into their cars because it had started to rain.  Before that they were all standing about admiring the view.  This was due to re-surfacing the road and the section controlled by lights was about 3 miles long.

016

Castle Tioram, built on a tidal island.

008

009

013 It’s not in very good shape

012

011

Back on the long road to Ardnamurchan Point but I didn’t make it.  A cyclist coming the other way flagged me down and told me that two lorries had had a head on collision (no bad injuries but one of them was transporting gas cannisters) on a narrow section of the single track road and that he had had difficulties in getting his bike through and that I should turn back.  On my way back I kept encountering police cars, ambulances and fire engines, bloue lights flashing and sirens blazing.  It isn’t easy to get out of the way in the Van on a single track road.  The roads don’t look that bad in the photos….!

018 Ambulance

019 Fire engine

020

I was too late for the Fishnish crossing to Mull so I  found somewhere to pull over to spend the night and found  friend.

021

022

I had a nice view of Mull and caught an early ferry for the short crossing

023

024

025

026

On the crossing I met the cyclist who had told me about the accident.  He and his friends were off to bag Mull’s only Munro, Ben More.  More about Ben More later.

028

029 Looking back at where I had spent the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment