Thursday 26 April 2012

5th to 8th April – Thursday to Sunday

After all the preparation I set off on 5th April in a bit of a muddle – although (famous last words) I haven’t forgotten too much of importance.

I headed for St Bees, via outside Leamington (first stop over), Wenslydale (catch up with family)and Cockermouth – I hadn’t “done” Cockermouth before – where I stayed on a really nasty campsite – definitely not recommended – mostly fixed caravans, no attempt is made to make tourers welcome or comfortable and a greedy charge. 

I had a walk around in the evening.  There are still some vacant units but by and large there has been a good clean up from the floods.  On the Sunday morning I visited Wordsworth’s birthplace where his father lived as a land agent but from where the family had to move after his death.  The house backs onto the river. 

image 

Pole to the right of the front steps marks the flood level

image 

The pole to the right of the tree marks the flood level

The garden suffered greatly from the flood and it appears a big flood wall has been put in for future prevention.  The servants’ quarters suffered from the flood but the main floors were not directly affected.

image Nice fireplace

image Drawing room

St Bees – not for old time’s sake (nearest public school to where I went to school) – to meet up with Pat whom I met in Patagonia last year. He and his wife, Moira, were starting the Coast to Coast on Monday 9th April.

We visited the Priory Church on the Sunday afternoon.  While I had been there before I hadn’t realised that the iron screen was designed by Butterfield

image

image

No comments:

Post a Comment