Saturday 28 April 2012

16th + 17th April - Monday + Tuesday

I spent a few days in Edinburgh, staying with Jim + Helen to start with and then in a camp site. In Edinburgh I continued my search for second hand OS maps, having realised, last year that I did need lots of OS maps of Scotland and later in the year having a light bulb moment when I realised I should trawl charity shops and second hand book shops and save an average of £4 per map.  I now am short of 8 out of the full pack of 205.

We walked along the Waters of Leith to Stockbridge (lots of charity shops) and I was pleased to see that the Anthony Gormley was still in place below the bridge at Stockbridge.

image

image

On the following day Jim and I went up to see the Falkirk Wheel, a millennium project rejoining two canals which had been formerly joined by a series of locks which had been lost under new roads and housing estates.

An impressive piece of engineering, the boat sails into a caisson which is then sealed off and then lowered or lifted using the opposite caisson as a counter weight.  There is much made of how energy efficient it is. Sadly there is not much traffic on either canal – the sole use of the wheel while we were there was the tourist boat.  However it is worth the visit.

image

image

image

image

image On the move…

image

image

image Jim + Jean (both cousins)

No comments:

Post a Comment