Saturday 11 June 2011

11th June Lerwick

My many followers may be confused that I am still blogging and am still in Lerwick and not in Hillswick.  In the end I decided to have a quiet day and not do much.  And doing the blog is like catching up with my homework and I will be able to go out to play when it is done…

I finally decided what I was going to do at about 11.30 and wandered into town – not a great day but nice enough to walk in without wearing rain gear but not without carrying it.

Having bought a selection of plugs to tackle my water tank cap, I decided to try squash balls and have now bought 2.  Not tried this solution yet.  Oxfam was having a book sale special and I bought a Kate Atkinson for 50p.

013   Intriguing out-of-context doorway

There was a huge cruise ship and a tall ship in harbour.  The man in the Oxfam shop said he was having a good day’s trading as a result.  The ship holds 3,000 punters and 1,500 staff.  Scarey stuff.  The tall ship was from Bergen. 

009

014 Tenders for cruise ship

I didn’t see the tall ship sail but did see the cruiser

026

028

031

015

I wandered along to the Museum again.  I ended up having a tour around the new “Tea” exhibition – it was just me and a New Zealand woman so we had a good chat – she and her husband had come over for a couple of years and so far had stayed 6.  He teaches in Whalsay and we discussed the school closure proposal.  The Council had started with the premise that they need to save money and this has morphed into improving the schooling which has created even more ill feeling.

Anyway, tea and Shetland – tea became an exchange commodity as they didn’t use money.  It was also thought to have become an addiction and caused rheumatism. 

022 A model of the Cutty Sark

The best thing about the exhibition was the room set aside for the kids:

016 The cakes are KNITTED!!

018 Knitted sandwiches

019 More knitted cakes

023 

I eventually found the North Star – former cinema, now just a night club.  Simon and I saw Donald Sutherland in the Invasion of the Body Snatchers here.  It was hilarious.   On display in the museum is a poster for Konga, a B movie made in 1961 where a monster destroys a city, a British film loosely based  on King Kong.  In the original poster the city being destroyed is London.   A local artist doctored this when it was showing at the North Star where the buildings were recognizable Lerwick ones.

Finally back in the Van and have caught up.  The icing on the cake (not knitted this time) is that the police came around and spent a long time in last night’s partying caravan.  Hopefully in for a more restful evening.

2 comments:

  1. did you sort out your door lock? Didn't we have something similar happen on the IOW?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you read these comments?

    ReplyDelete