Tuesday 3 January 2012

Late September Part 1

I overlooked blogging this, so I might find it difficult to slot into the right order – so I apologise if it causes confusion…

I went to Bristol via Birmingham – by car.

While in Birmingham I went to visit the Back-to-backs behind Hurst Street (Nat Trust).  I had never been there before; the restoration of the block of buildings post dates our time in Birmingham. 

007 

From inside the courtyard

3 May 005

Four of the dwellings are themed in different eras and types of employment – all carefully researched from the various censuses.

I really recommend this visit.  There was an extended family in our guided group and this added interest as the great grandmother had been born and spent her early childhood in a Birmingham Back-to-back so she was able to add information.

No photos were allowed in the interiors.  However I begged permission to take a couple of photos of  one of the glassblower’s drawers of wares – glass eyes.

001

002

008 

The laundry and toilet block and the great grandmother

003

Two ages of lavatory

004

In Bristol I stayed with Mike and Linda.   Linda was at Bristol Poly at the same time as me and she had arranged a mini-reunion with some of the girls I shared a house with.  I hadn’t seen Sue, Meriel and Alison since in 1971.

006

012 Alison, Meriel, Linda & Sue

014

Also at the lunch were a couple of Linda’s lecturers.

On the following day Mike and I went to Tynetsfield – see Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment