Saturday 20 October 2012

26th June

Back on the mainland, I’m now edging my way to Glasgow.  I’ve found a campsite to the east of the city which has rail access into Queen Street station.

On the way I stop at Helensburgh to visit the Charles Rennie Mackintosh designed house, Hill House

012

015

013

011

010

007

Hill House was commissed by Glasgow publisher Walter Blackie and was completed in 1904.  It  is a mix of Arts and Crafts, Art Nouveau, Scottish Baronial and Japonisme architecture and design.  Mackintosh’s wife, Margaret Macdonald, designed and made many of the textiles and a beautiful fireplace panel.

Margaret Macdonald's Sleeping Beauty Above the Fireplace in te Drawing Room Sleeping Beauty

Again, no photos indoors but, again have managed to sneek some off the internet

Hill House

Hill House

Another View of the Main Bedroom Main bedroom

The Bathroom Bathroom

The camp site was very safety conscious with pad-operated gates, for both vehicles and pedestrians.  However, if on foot and without the code you could easily climb over the dwarf wall next to the gates.

084

On one of the evenings I came back to find this bus a couple of bays along from me (German, of course) – I was just amazed at the efficiency of the preparation and serving up of the evening meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment