Thursday 4 August 2011

29th July, Friday: West Lomond Hill + Loch Leven

My grandmother lived in Gateside, in the Kingdom of Fife and the West Lomond Hill lies to the south of the village. 

025

I’m pretty sure I never climbed the hill but remember going to the Hermit’s cave at the bottom of it.  I also recall that rosebay willow herb was always in bloom, particularly along the old railway line.  I also recall the interminable sermons at the kirk on Sundays.

I persuaded my cousin, Jim and his wife, Helen to climb the hill.  He didn’t know about the Hermit’s cave and had been lucky to not have to experience the sermons.

002

005

006

007

I had no recollection of the shape of the rock outcrop which is called the Bonnetstane

 

The entrance to the cave

012

011

003 

Gateside; the old village is behind the trees and the kirk is for sale so no more long sermons there.

013

015

016

We then went to Kinross to catch a boat to Loch Leven Castle where Mary Stuart had been held prisoner.

036 Much needed Willow Herb

026 

The castle is on the right.  On the left is a cemetery which may be part of Kinross House

033

028 A boat from the castle

029 

Kinross House from the castle.  The  castle was the focal point of the view when house was built by Sir William Bruce of Balcaskie after buying it in 1672.  He rebuilt Holyroodhouse in the 1670’s

It has been called "the most beautiful and regular piece of Architecture in Scotland".  The house, which is considered the most important early classical mansion in Scotland, retains most of its original internal decoration. It was occupied as a family home until 2010. It has been sold and is to become a hotel.

The only pictures I took in Edinburgh on the Saturday (no, I didn’t go to see Zara + Mike) was of one of Anthony Gormley’s figures in the Water of Leith, from the bridge at Stockbridge:

002

001

No comments:

Post a Comment